Basic, Can be progressed
This drill is meant to be done in pairs, providing a high number of repetitions, and reinforces scooping and quick passing to teammates.
- Coaches must stress to the players that they go slowly enough so that their technique is perfect. This drill is meant to reinforce the fundamentals, not just “kill time”.
- Bring stick to face and cradle after the scoop, just like in a game.
- To avoid confusion, we suggest that they do all 3 ground balls right handed for a turn, and then left-handed for the next turn. Alternating each time.
- Players pair off and stand on the sideline. Player 1 gently rolls the ball out towards the opposite sideline.
- Player 2 runs and scoops it, turns in the correct arc, makes an accurate pass to Player 1, and runs back to tap the sideline/ground near Player 1’s foot with his stick.
- This is repeated until Player 2 has scooped it 3 times, then the players switch positions.
- Protecting the ball
- Quick passing off of a ground ball
- Turning in the proper direction (away from pressure)
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Pick up the pace so there is more conditioning