Cutting & Picking
Basic, Can be progressed
The objective of this game is to help teach cutting, picking and off-ball movement in a constraints-based manner. The game can also be used to teach defending cutters and picks.
Description of Drill-Execution
- Goals are placed on opposite sides of the center circle.
- Two teams of 3 players are placed in the center circle and one is given possession of the ball.
- Teams play a 3v3 game, with constraints dictated by the coach (see progressions for examples of constraints).
- On a turnover or possession change, defense becomes the offense
- Players must stay "in-bounds."
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Teams can only score when on the offensive side of the midfield line.
- Defense can only play the ball carrier if on the offensive side of the midfield line
- Teams can only score off a feed
- Teams can only score off a pick (on ball or off ball)
- Teams can only pass back across line 2x
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired to promote competition.