Sliding & Double Teaming
Basic, Can be progressed
The objective of this game is to help teach sliding to support teammates and deploying double teams when appropriate in a constraints-based manner. The game can also be used to teach breaking slide patterns and avoiding or breaking double teams.
Description of Drill-Execution
- Goals are placed on opposite sides of the center circle.
- Two teams of 3 players are placed in the center circle and one is given possession of the ball.
- Teams play a 3v3 game, with constraints dictated by the coach (see progressions for examples of constraints).
- On a turnover or possession change, defense becomes the offense
- Players must stay "in-bounds."
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- The Offensive team must always keep one player in the defensive half of the circle
- Teams can only score when on the offensive side of the midfield line.
- Defense must double team when the ball gets passed from the defensive side of the circle to the offensive side.
- Offensive teams must pick on ball (to draw the defense into a potential double team situation.
- Teams can only pass back across line 2x
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired to promote competition.