This drill will teach your defense to clear the ball as soon as they gain possession. The drill will also teach your offense to push for goals after gaining possession or hold the ball in the box when you are killing penalties or under two minutes in the game with a lead.
Description of Drill-Execution
- Players are set up around the outside of the box.
- Coach rolls ground ball into corner, players release and attempt to gain possession.
- Defense must clear midfield line to win.
- Offense must score within one minute of possession or hold the ball for one minute in the box (no shot allowed).
- Extremely competitive, high intensity, short duration drill, perfect ending to a great practice.
- Even Strength Drill
- Transition Defense
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
To vary the drill you may want to split the box with cones and keep half the players on one side and half the players on the other side to team overloading and limit your players from losing field position when coming off ground ball pickups. You may also add a cone in the middle of the box and have your defense drop in first, touch the cone, and then attack the offense.