Basic, can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach defensive shift, sliding, movement and communication to support teammates and deploying double teams when appropriate in a constraints-based manner. The game can also be used to teach breaking slide patterns and avoiding or breaking double teams.
Description of Drill-Execution
- 8 Defenders (7 + Goalie) start in the middle of the 8M facing each other with their eyes closed.
- Defenders must sing a song together loudly!
- 7 Attackers are outside of the 12M passing the ball around the outside
- On the command “play!” the Attack players can attack the goal, the Defenders have to break
- out and mark up!
- Goalie must quickly get in the goal and communicate
- Vary the number of players on each side (sneak players in and out without telling the other teams)
- Can’t mark the same player twice
- Use a gym ball and pool noodles and let everyone take a turn at being goalie
- Add in a clear if defense causes a turn over
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.